Pueblo (Mirasol) Chile Harvest

It’s roasting green chile time! I’m pretty new to the whole Pueblo Chile roasting tradition but I am definitely in love with them.  Last year I bought a few quart bags of the roasted chile while I strolled the annual Chile & Frijoles Festival. Most people were buying the chile by the bushel.  I thought what on earth do I do with a whole bushel?! Where would I store them??

This year The Mister and I bought a freezer.

I went to DiSanti Farms with my most excellent friend, Mrs. P. and I bought my first bushel of roasted chiles.

IMG_1984

IMG_1985

The chiles are roasted in these cages. It is hot and smokey work and I’m glad they do it for you.

IMG_1982

Once I got them home they need to be washed, skins peeled and then portioned out into smaller bags for use throughout the coming months. Mrs. P cuts the stems off too and removes the seeds. I decided to skip this step for the initial bagging. I may want the seeds for some things plus the extra work would’ve probably made my arm fall off. Mrs. P is a seasoned veteran.

The bushel of roasted chile waits for me.

It took me several hours to wash, peel and bag the bushel. My shoulder was aching by the end and my FoodSaver was smokin’.

IMG_1989

Tags: , , ,

Categories: Vegetables & Fruits

6 Comments on “Pueblo (Mirasol) Chile Harvest”

1. Cindy Pershin
    Saturday, September 6, 2014 at 8:32 pm #

I really enjoyed our morning together at DiSanti farms!
    Fondly,
    Mrs. P

• Saturday, September 6, 2014 at 8:54 pm #

That was so much fun! I love it when you show me new places.

2. Jane Kalin
    Sunday, September 7, 2014 at 7:56 am #

Mrs. Beans, this gave me a great laugh – at myself. I love, love local farms and farmers’ markets. But – I am waaaaaaaaaaaay to lazy and waaaaaaaaaaaay too unmotivated to do what you did here.
    Bless your precious heart and your limitless talent. ..You.. are.. amazing!!

• Sunday, September 7, 2014 at 11:50 am #

So do it when you take them out to use them……I’m lazy too, but I love great food 😉

3. Tammy Marsh
    Sunday, September 7, 2014 at 11:49 am #

My brother introduced me to fresh roasted chilies last year ❤️I am now hooked for life! The first time I peeled , seeded and stemmed them all before freezing but have learned that all that happens easily after freezing and I find it much easier to deal with on a once use basis. Glad you have discovered this culinary gem as I’m sure I will reap the benefits from your recipe postings! Lol

4. Sunday, September 7, 2014 at 1:29 pm #

Last year I just put the prepackaged by the farm quart bags into the freezer. It was way too wet and when thawed I found it more difficult to tell what was what.

This year, with Mrs P’s guidance, I rinsed, peeled the skins and dried off the peppers before packaging them up. They look much tidier.

I’m wondering if a bushel will last through the winter but I don’t think I’m up for the task again this year.

%d bloggers like this: