Christmas Dinner

Let me start by saying that Christmas dinner was DELICIOUS.

I went to what used to be Brink’s Meat Market here in town but has become Pueblo Bounty and Yield, to pick up filet mignon for our special dinner.

While I was in Wal-Mart the other day looking at their filet mignon I held a package marked as .74 lb. The piece of meat seemed kind of small per person for a special meal like Christmas dinner. It did give me an idea though of how much to order from the meat market. Basing it on that piece of meat, I figured ordering about a pound per person would give each of us a huge hunk of meat.

IMG_3279

Let me tell you, there was a LOT of meat in that package. There were two pieces — one piece was 1.00 lb and the other .78 lb. Looking at the meat I knew that there was no way that each of us could possibly eat a piece of meat each in this package. (I don’t know what that piece of meat was at Wal-Mart but it was quite appreciably smaller than the .78 piece in this package.)

I ended up freezing  the smaller of the two and I cut the 1.00 lb piece in half and The Mister and I each had a piece.

The Mister seared each side before putting them in the oven. My cute 6″ cast iron skillets were put to work!

His.

IMG_3310

Hers.

IMG_3309

Looking good! Splattered, but good.

IMG_3311

The meat hung out in a 300 degrees F oven for 8 minutes. The internal temperature was 145 degrees F which puts it between medium and medium well. Perfect! The meat was so incredibly tender. It was served with an ear of fresh corn on the cob and a few scoops of Jasmine rice.

Tags: , ,

Categories: Beef/Pork

7 Comments on “Christmas Dinner”

1. Thursday, December 25, 2014 at 11:42 pm #

MMM, Steak and Rice! What, no ketchup? Mele Kalikimaka e Hauoli Makahiki Hou

• Friday, December 26, 2014 at 8:11 am #

Mmmm, steak with ketchup tastes best on the beach. Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year to you!

2. Jane Kalin
    Tuesday, January 6, 2015 at 9:34 am #

Er, Mrs. Beans..? W-w-w-were those beauties seared in b-b-b-b-butter?

• Tuesday, January 6, 2015 at 3:22 pm #

Umm, hee….errr…..YUP!

• Jane Kalin
        Tuesday, January 6, 2015 at 3:40 pm #

LOL!!!!!!

• Tuesday, January 6, 2015 at 8:43 pm #

Kerrygold Irish butter………I did think of you as we did this….a little guiltily but omg it was good.

• Jane Kalin
            Wednesday, January 7, 2015 at 5:13 am #

I meet one of my friends for lunch at Nordstrom Cafe a few times a month and I always order the same item from the kids’ menu: A grilled cheese sandwich on THE most perfect nut and grain bread comes with a cup of tomato soup on the plate, flanked by a wee group of red seedless grapes and a strawberry. A perfect lunch that never fails me. Until 2 weeks ago.

I forgot to tell them ‘NO butter anywhere – even on the grill.’ And with my first bite, I thought lunch was about to get interesting. Gross. But interesting.

I left everything on my plate (and very close to leaving my breakfast there, too).. Couldn’t eat. I didn’t actually hurl, but I was shkeeved and nauseous the rest of the day.

B-b-b-b-butter and Slammywhammy.. the bane of my existence.

%d bloggers like this: